Thursday, May 19, 2005

Wandering the World - Jim Damico

On a cold winters night in January, I ran across a cycle travel log written by Jim Damico called "Show Me America" . I was hooked! It took me two nights to finish it, and when I was done I wanted to read more. This man has resolve. Not only does he go from coast to coast, but keeps going on, to finally cover 9,720 miles, in a fund raising effort directed to the Nancy Johnson- Coyle Endowment Fund that was established as a memorial to his cousin at Texas Woman's University in Denton, Texas. She died after a long illness while studying at TWU.

The log was written and posted while he was on his quest, by using computers at local libraries along his route. It is a frank account of people he met, problems that arose, personal insight and struggles both physical and mental, and adventure! Pure and simple. What amazed me most was the people he met along the way. It restored my faith in the human race, in a sense that there are still kind, trusting, helpful, and honest people left out there in America!

I don't mean to cynical, but lately it seems that in my neck of the woods, it's the "leave me alone, and don't bother me" kind of humans that I run into, especially on the urban trails. I always tell my wife maybe it's the beard and tattoos, that scare them... I am a friendly person and like to greet most people I meet, but a lot of them stare at the ground, or ride by like they couldn't be bothered. Although this doesn't discourage me as I have met several nice people along the trails, and continue to chat with them as we meet. Sometimes it good to ride with them, and enjoy good conversation.

So if you like to read about other cyclists adventures, go to Jim's web site and see the places he has traveled, I don't think you will be disappointed.

wanderingtheworld.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home