Sunday, May 08, 2005

Saturday Ride on the OPRT

70° and partly sunny, and I need to ride. I had to acquire a set of tire levers, since down sizing my tire sizes from 1.95 to 1.50. A trip to Sumbaum Cycle, and I obtained 4 levers that were a good fit into my seat bag, and looked like they could handle any tire repairs on the trail. I will not go onto a trail with out the proper tools. I go out to ride, not walk. Flats are a way of life for a cyclist, so be prepared, and yes I was a scout. My round trip mileage average is 20 miles. This is a must, unless the weather, mechanical woes, or my physical condition dictates otherwise. Depending on how I feel, I will usually add to this distance, on a day to day basis.

I arrived at my favorite parking place, which is in New Lennox. Unloaded, mounted up and away I went. I start out easy to warm up, peddling slowly for a while to get the blood flowing and the muscles loose. It was sunny but a slight chill was evident, I knew this wouldn't last, as the warm up faded into a steady cadence. Passing Lions Park, the pace quickens, and I ask myself each time, what are you doing? You could be at home relaxing in the yard with a cool drink watching the barbie. Well I have this discussion each time I go out, with my lazy side. I pushed on knowing it was a losing conversation, and I really do enjoy riding. The trail was quiet and the traffic was light. I stopped at Frankfort Park for a few power bars, and a supply of water. Still very few people were on the trail. This is unusual for Frankfort on a Saturday afternoon with the sun shining.

I rode to Central Avenue and did a turn around. The trail is in excellent condition, with very little debris on it. The flowering trees that are along the path are in full bloom, with no wildflowers yet. I had the wind at my back on the return trip and the sun really came out strong. I saw very few birds along the trail, only 1 Cardinal, and only a few Robins and Finches. Several weeks ago the Cardinals were abundant, especially between Pfeiffer Road, and the Frankfort Park. Seems like they were playing tag with each other. Towards the end of the ride, near Joliet Road I ran across a rider with a flat tire. Offered to help with a repair kit and air pump but he declined, stating he didn't have very far to go. Like I said I hate walking when I can ride.

26-1/2 miles and a slight sunburn was worth the trip. Hopefully the weather will remain warm and the wind will slow down and the 4 days a week riding the trail will commence. I need the workout...

See ya on the trail!

P.S. The drinking fountian at the park at Elsner Road is on and giving up the the best drink of the all, Water!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home