Thursday, May 05, 2005

Convert Road Bike

I have acquired a Raleigh Technium Road bike, for the perfect price, Free! I love the way it rolls, and the weight is superb. It is in good working condition, and I have rode it a few times thru the hood. I haven't really taken it out on the Old Plank Road Trail, and don't think I will just yet.

My problem is that the seat it really uncomfortable, and I not wild about the body position, when using the roadbars. I am going to change some of these features to accommodate my aging body. Maybe I'm crazy, but a softer seat will be added, for my posterior. I am looking at different handlebars. I enjoy the upright position much better, and I am not looking to break any speed records. Don't get me wrong, I have days where I feel strong after a slow warm up, and gradually I find myself riding in the 15 mph bracket for some time. Some road riders would say this is slow, but considering that I was riding an Aluminum, 30 lb comfort bike, with 1.95 tires on it, I feel this is a decent workout. Let's face it, on the down side of the Rte 45 overpass in Frankfort, in top gear, spinning flat out, has only has put me at the mind bending speed of 23 mph! I'm sure Lance would be impressed, if I was riding backwards...

I also have made a change on my asphalt trail bike, and went with slimmer tires. I purchased a pair of Kenda KWest 1.50 street tires, and replaced the 1.95's. I kept the heavy duty tubes, as OPRT can be contaminated with thorns, and hidden glass at times. Since I changed to the heavier tubes, no flats! So I'll live with the extra weight they add. I hope to gain a little less rolling resistance, since I have been doing a lot of time on paved trails. I want to get a extra set of wheels so I can change over quickly, in the event of new trails, that dish up rougher terrain. I love to try out new locations with my wife, on those Sunday summer afternoons!

This weekend seems to hold some promise of some good warm weather. I hope to see you on the trail...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home