Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Friends on the trail...

I was riding on the trail last year for 3 weeks or so, and on my way through Hobbit Woods (Between Pfieffer Road, and Harlem Ave.) I was nearing Milepost 7 when I heard a hissing sound going around and around. I knew this was my first flat tire on the OPRT. Well I stopped as fast as I could to keep from damaging the rim on my new bike. I summed up how fast the leak was. PDF! So I resigned myself to swapping out the tube, with the spare I had along. Faster to swap than fix.

To work I went loosening, pulling, twisting, and replacing. Then as I was finishing up the job, an older gentleman stopped and asked if I had any trouble. I replied that I seemed to have picked up some glass but it was under control. This was the first person on the trail that had said more than one word to me since I started. He introduced himself as "Partee". We started to chat and review each others mounts when up pulled another rider. Partee introduced me to the new arrival, and his name was Jim. Well in five minutes I have met two fellow riders, all because I had a flat. It seemed amazing that three weeks produced a few nods and several friendly hellos, but here I was having an all out conversation with not one rider but two! Realigning the tire on the rim to my satisfaction, and then topped off the tire with 60 lbs of clean fresh air. Flipped the bike over and took a breather.

Conversation was light and cheery, as I learned how many miles Jim had ridden so far this year, and small talk of the trail. I said it was time that I had to start back, and have a time table to meet, so I can prepare for work. (2nd Shift Person) Jim said he was on his way east, and we said our goodbyes. Partee was going my way, so we decided to ride together. I learned that Partee was retired and in his early 70's. He looked pretty fit to me, and I found out that he had been riding the trail for a while. We peddled and talked, and I was enjoying his company. Pretty soon we reached Schoolhouse Road and he said he should probably turn back as he hadn't been this far in a while. Well he then said a little farther wouldn't hurt as we rode on and chatted about everyday life and of course Biking.

We were approaching Lions Den Park in New Lennox, and he told me about a friend who used to live close by and used to ride the trail. We came to the stop sign and Partee said it was the end of the line for him. We stopped and shook hands. I told him I had really enjoyed his company, and the conversation. I told him that I hoped we could do it again. We parted as I rode west and Partee rode back east. As I rode on towards the end of the trail for me, I couldn't help thinking that this is what life was all about for me. Being outside in nature, meeting other people, and enjoying each others company, and having pleasant conversation. It was like I knew him for a long time. I looked forward to the next meeting, and there were a several.

I haven't come across Partee yet this year, as I have been riding later in the day until I get on my summer schedule, both mentally and physically. Afternoon shift in the winters, is an all night thing. Spring and summer I love to be outdoors, and switch to a earlier schedule so I can get the most out of the sun filled days. Hence earlier days on the trail.

I have met several people on the trail through my rides with Partee, some names I remember, some have slipped away from me, but I remember the faces. I hope to see my friend soon, and continue on riding and conversing with him. It does make me feel that we are all connected to each other in some manner, you just have to be open and willing to see and accept the invitations, no matter how slight they seem.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home