Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Memorial Day Ride

What a beautiful day for a long leisurely ride with my soulmate. We loaded up the bikes for transport to Channahon State Park, where locks 9 & 10 are. When we arrived we could not locate a parking space anywhere. As we exited the park at the main entrance, a gentleman on the corner sitting on his porch called out to my mate, telling her we could park on their grass! I stopped and backed up onto the side of the road on the grass as he instructed. I thanked him for letting us use his property. He smiled an said anytime. Good people still abound in this world. As we were unloading our bikes, he and his wife were telling others being turned away for no parking availability, to back up onto their grass. What a nice couple!

As we started to enter the park this seemed like a holiday from a long time ago! Everyone was out enjoying the day, and they all seemed so happy. Picnics, fishing, playing, biking, and hiking. It doesn't get any better than this. It was in the lower 70's with a gentle breeze. The sun lazily sliding in and out of the white billowy clouds, that were marking the sky, like an oil painting of the mind...


So off we went. There were quite a few people out on the trail, but this is usually the case between Channahon and McKinley Woods. About three miles apart with plenty of activity at both areas. Once you go past the woods it thins out. We rode out to Aux Sable Access to the Locktenders house. We took a few rest periods along the way. One at the woods, and one at the dam, adjacent to the Mule Barn, then on to Lock 8, and Aux Sable Access. We claimed victory, and rested on a park bench, doing some people watching. I found out that I had left my memory card in my card reader back home. Drat no pics today! There is a water fountain right on the trail next to the bench. It is hard to fill water bottles from it, but you can get enough to keep you going to the next water stop. I suggest carrying a collapsible camp cup to use in these situations. It can help you fill your water bottles if need be. So much for the chatter, we saddled up to return. On the ride back, we stopped a few extra times to watch the barges and boats on the river. Also we were trying to obtain a better fit for the misses. It seemed to work out better for her, but time will tell.

The trail is in good condition, with very little derbis, and the wild flowers are blooming. What a nice ride. All in all we rode 19 miles, and it took us 3 hours of enjoying the scenery. This is such a nice section of the trail. I like it from Channahon to Seneca. I haven't had the pleasure to travel any father but will try and finish the trail trail this year, as time permits. The only hazard we saw, was a dip in the trail that has been plaguing it for a while. I think it gets washed out, but is well marked by signs on both approaches, east and west. Take heed to these signs. Sometimes the sun can blind this dip as I have had the experience to be suprized by it last year. It is on the river side of the trail, so when the sign approaches stay to the canal side of the trail and use caution.

The next time I ride this section of the trail, I will be sure to bring along my memory card and shoot some pictures of the features along this section. I hope everyone had a great day! I know we did...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home