Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Another New Experience!

Well it was getting pretty warm today, and like the forgetful old man that I am, I didn't pay too much attention to the wind direction. I reached the I-57 overpass and did a turn around. Stopped to stretch my legs and rehydrate.

Now I notice the wind, and it is going to be in my face on the way back. Funny it didn't seem this windy when I started. I noticed the clouds blowing straight up, but since we cannot seem to buy any rain I didn't think to much about it. So I mount up and start my trek back. Wind was a come and go thing, mostly come with a little go.

I had to drop down a gear while I was out in the open, moving through the Prairie between Central and Ridgeland Ave's. Once it the trees it died down and back up into the rhythm. It started getting dark ahead as I crossed Harlem Ave., I smiled and told myself I couldn't get that lucky. Down through "Troll Hollow" as I call it at mile post 7, I think it might blow over.

Guess again! I go another 500 yards and it starts to rain! Not a sprinkle, or a drizzle, I mean it rains! As I cross Pfeiffer Road there are three construction worker sitting under the shelter, and as I go pass one says, "feels good don't it", and I agree. I keep riding since I'm soaked and there is no need to stop now, and he was right, it does feel good! As I cross the next intersection at the housing area, Bam! Lighting and a close shot of thunder, it took me by surprise! Now I feel in danger, as I'm a sitting duck, so I speed up and the cadence increases as I head for shelter. Frankfort is close and I keep up the rhythm. Finally I reach the Train Depot, and lift my mount upon to the deck and under the roof, as it keeps raining.

I retrieve my cell from inside my seat bag. It is lined with a foam rubber sleeve and it seems to have kept the contents dry. I call my better half who is on her lunch hour , and she tells me it's sunny and hot in Shorewood, go figure. I inform her it's actually raining in Illinois! As the rain slacks off back to the trail I go to finish the ride. Low and behold as I get near Schoolhouse Road,the sun's out in full force and the heat is back. Trails dry and I'm heading for the landing pad.

I learned a few things today as to what's good the carry with you, in case of a sudden down pour. I will give my thoughts in a post later this week.

Good Rid'in!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home